Thursday, July 26, 2007

An Average Guy's Road To New York City

I'm just an average middle-class male approaching 40. The "average-ness" extends to my looks, my anatomy, my paycheck, my savings, the size of my family, my running PRs. You won't be able to pick me out from the crowd. I hold a full-time job at a financial institution, juggling my limited hours between family, commuting to/from work and running, though sometimes the order of things are pretty hazy and quite often something gives way for the other. I've 2 boys - a 4-year old and a 6-month old - and both give me different joys. My wife doesn't share my joy for running no matter how hard I try to convince her, but I'm not giving up.

What is not average however, is my passion for running. I've been involved in the sport from every angle - participant, volunteer and soon race directing. I'm also co-facilitating a weekly Beginner's Running Program and have contributed to a couple of shoe wear-test program as well as written for the Men's Health magazine. I also have a handful of dreams when it comes to running (but that doesn't mean I don't have dreams related to other aspect of my Life but let's not complicate matters, shall we?).


The reason I set up this blog is to document my preparations leading up to the race as well as to put in a single place all the resources that I've gathered in planning for the trip. I noticed that there's a lack of information on travelling to NYC and racing the big one there especially from the viewpoint of an Asian, specifically a Malaysian. What makes NYC such a vibrant metropolis also makes it a daunting prospect for the first-time visitor. I'm not an expert in NYC nor on any parts of the United States. NYC will be the furthest I've travelled to, probably in my life. But I hope to gather as much info and structure this blog the best I can to make this blog as informative and useful as possible.

Time will tell whether this blog will be the point of reference for runners from this part of Asia who also share a common dream of running the NYC Marathon someday.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home