Thursday, October 16, 2008

37519

NYRR has released the bib numbers for the participants and mine's 37519. Besides being an identity on the roads, bib numbers play a significant role on how you'll be started on Nov 2. The bib is color coded (every colour means something) and you can tell a lot by just the colours of the bib background and number. I imagine my bib to look something like this. Let's see if the actual one comes anywhere close to my imagination.



37519 means that:

- I'm assigned to a Wave 3 Blue Start. From the corral chart, I'll be in the first block (otherwise known as "A" Corral) of Wave 3. I hope that there's a suitable pace team in the same start.

- my staging area will be at the Alberto Salazar Village (ASV). This is the first "village" that you'll get to once the bus drops you off. It appears to be the largest but then that means it will also have the biggest crowd.

- there is a chance that at least for the first 2K (up and down the bridge), I'll have an easier passage. A good thing that the NYRR will be enforcing the wave and corral queues. My start is 10:20am, so I reckon they will start calling for runners from 45 (9:40am) to 50 minutes (9:30am) before then to make their way to the start.

- I'm going to be on the upper deck of the bridge and therefore have a more spectacular view. Maybe some eagle-eyed friends can spot me on TV?

- I should be checking in my baggage with the UPS truck # 37. Trucks are sorted in incremental of 1000 according to bib numbers.

- I'm exiting the park at the finish at the 77th Street of Central Park West. This is the first exit. The next exit is 4 streets northward meaning more walking.

I'm really not too concerned about which one I'm in, just terribly curious. I'm hoping that detailed information will allow first timers to feel less intimidated.

17 more days! I'm so freaking excited now!

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Frank Chong said...

Carry the Jalur Gemilang then maybe I can spot you on TV. Well...Maybe for a while. Hehe... I'm feeling the excitement for you too.

October 16, 2008 at 10:49 PM  
Blogger Julian said...

Bro.. something just came to mind. Email me..

When are you arriving? I hope you're arriving at least 4 - 5 days before the race. There's one thing you might have overlooked, or maybe not, it's JETLAG.

It'll take you a couple of days to get over that man.

One tip (according to those mags) is that if you're travelling over here (east), DON'T SLEEP in the plane. I don't know lah, didn't really work for me that much.

See how.

Look forward to seeing you here.

October 17, 2008 at 9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Jamie.

I'm Wave 2; Corral B, Green start.

I haven't sorted what that means yet regarding village location, finish exit, etc., but I do think I'm on the lower level of the bridge (urm).

October 18, 2008 at 6:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops - the last comment was from me: Mitch, Shaker Heights OH, USA

October 18, 2008 at 6:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't forget old gloves or socks, hat, sweatshirt and pants before the start. you'll need them, it's a long wait. also time change at 2am, sunday.
have a great time!

roy

October 27, 2008 at 11:20 PM  
Blogger Jamie Pang said...

Thanks Roy! Hope to have an added hour's rest with the daylight savings.

October 27, 2008 at 11:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Frank (rundangerously) is also running NY. I've been running with him in races, half-marathons and shorter, the last 4 months. Weather looks perfect for Sunday.

Roy

October 28, 2008 at 12:06 PM  
Blogger Jamie Pang said...

Roy, I'm almost too embarrassed to ask if I know you from the RW forums?

October 28, 2008 at 11:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

no, different runner. i'm in some photos on frank's blog. also, i was the topic of discussion on hitekracing.com message board one year ago. born in the far east a very long time ago.

roy

October 29, 2008 at 4:04 AM  
Blogger Jamie Pang said...

Aha Roy! Saw your photo in Frank's blog, finally. Great to meet you.

October 29, 2008 at 6:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home