Sunday, October 12, 2008

A Near Miss

If not for Lawrence's SMS, I'd have missed this morning's planned 35K. Alas I somehow slept through 2 alarms! I'd not time for coffee, just enough to pack up the drinks and go. Time taken to reach Bukit Aman from Puchong? 30 minutes! A new record for me. Both Lawrence and I got in at the same time.

Up to 22K, I felt OK. It must have been due to chasing down Geraldine that I probably lost steam not long after. Since I was running the World Wide Half Marathon (WWHM) as part of my workout, I didn't go all out for the WWHM. My timing of 2:06.47 was quite slow, but I'm OK for it.

With 4Ks to go, Lionel and a boxer put up a hilarious show when the mutt, thinking that Lionel wanted to play, chased his a good 500meters. The sight was so funny with beast losing out to the runner eventually. When I drew near, I saw that the poor mutt's tongue were hanging out obviously exhausted. Lesson learnt for the mutt: Pick the correct runner to chase!

Finishing was tough and I decided not to pursue the last 5K. I'm convinced that I needed to slow down and take it easier. I noted that there was some slight swelling on the right archilles when I had a bad blister a couple of weeks back. This area needs some icing and massaging tonight.

I'll lay off running the next 2 days and will hop onto the spinning bike instead.

I received the hardcopy NYCM Official Handbook today in the mail and it looks beautiful!

I look very beat in the photo. Photo courtesy of Frank.


Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger yipwt said...

jamie,

Your training runs are impressive. Quite alot of distance done.

But hope you have no injuries in NYC marathon.

Keep it up

October 13, 2008 at 7:55 PM  
Blogger Jamie Pang said...

Yip: It's quite alright the last few weeks. However the early months were very patchy.

And thanks, my achilles should be fine. Swelling's subsided and only a little red. Only when pressed down could I feel a little tenderness. Will run in the trainers from now and save the racers for the big one!

October 13, 2008 at 11:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Jamie.

You're getting quite fast indeed. It's a good thing I start in the 2d wave as I'll need at least a 20 min head start!

Sunday 12 Oct I ran a local 26.2 mi for training and was quite happy to come in at ~4:57. I imagine I'll go a little better at the NYCM after a taper ... but still quite a bit behind you I'm afraid.

Looking forward to seeing you and all the chaps soon in NYC.

Mitch
Shaker Heights OH USA

October 15, 2008 at 2:31 AM  
Blogger Jamie Pang said...

Mitch: Wow you're pretty hardcore doing a "training" 26 miler! I won't be able to do that. You should be aiming for a 4:30 and below but then it's NYC - will be crowded unless the Wave start eases the traffic somewhat. See you folks soon!

October 15, 2008 at 7:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Jamie.

I'm not sure if this is good or not, but I actually ran/trained through 2 marathons recently -- the Towpath Marathon this past Sunday as mentioned and the Akron (OH) Marathon 2 weeks prior. I enjoyed both and took the Akron run particularly easy (~5:50 or so). Hopefully I will still feel fresh and strong for the NYCM.

Have fun and enjoy your taper,

Mitch

October 15, 2008 at 9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home