Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Back To Backs

Strip away all the technical aspects, training is all about systematically stressing the body and mental systems over a period of time. Build up and sustain the stress-load on the body, breaking it down, recover and repeat.

I came up with the Back to Back (B2B) approach at this stage of my career as I can no longer maintain an end to end 4 month marathon training program. I will either lose focus halfway through the period, peak too early as a result of poor management or fall sick. Since I've been quite blessed at staying injury free over the years, I thought I can compress the period of serious training down to 2 months by incorporating 2 days of high quality (LTs and Tempos) workouts on weekdays and hitting the long runs on weekends. More recently I invested in a spinning bike to ensure that I not only prevent cardio and strength loss but to build them up.

The benefits of these adjustments are lower running mileage (and thus reducing overuse risk), increase in quality workouts, reduction of training period, while maintaining fitness. I'm also hoping that all that spinning will bring about quicker leg turnover. All good but this approach is not for everyone. You need to have about 40K weekly mileage and have tackled distances of up to 30K a few times. It's not recommended for beginning runners and non-marathoners, simply because it places too much stress on the unconditioned body and mind. In view of that I've been fortunate to have like minded running mates to tag along. Training in a group can and will pull you through tough patches.



We own the night. OK, morning! As you can see the camera just don't cut it.

For my NYCM training, I put together a series of B2Bs. B2Bs are essentially medium-long to long runs done on Saturday and Sunday. With 5 weeks to raceday, the workouts were 25K and 31K. With me were Luc, Frank and Lawrence. I decided to carry a loaned Olympus SW850 to get a feel of it and the unit felt quite good in my hands. It also fits snugly into the Nike slim running pouch. Barring any change of mind, the camera will be coming along with me on the 5-borough journey.


After the Saturday's 25K

The 31K started an easy pace. We decided to take the new Solaris route. I was running in and out of pace testing the camera at various spots. It was only near Desa Hartamas that Luc turned the power on and disappeared. Frank and I stopped over at the 7-Eleven for drinks and quickly resumed. By the time we neared the Petronas station after a loop, Luc came storming from behind. He'd gone around loop while waiting for us.

The run to the IRB office was with Luc as Frank had dropped back a bit. I raised my pace to MP and managed to stick close to Luc. Of course it was his easy pace. I was comfortable throughout and the Lunaracers were holding up very very well. We took another loop before stopping at the station to replenish. Frank arrived soon after but indicated he had to relieve himself. So Luc and I went our way, this time taking the reverse Solaris route. And boy was I in for a hard run. The reverse was even worse than coming. But with the construction workers streaming to their site at the killer hill, there was no way I could stop. I hung on as long as I could as we hammered the ascent.

After we cleared the Duta crossing, Luc jestfully suggested we detoured to Double Hill. I'm sure he could've but there was no way I'd make it back. Sure, NYCM isn't flat but it isn't even as hilly as the regular Hartamas route (just several well-placed bridges to knock your pace off). Hopefully Luc wasn't frustrated with my non-interest for he zoomed down Kenny Hills and wasn't seen again until back at the car park. I maintained pace and was clipping along fairly fast back to the car park to conclude a good week of running and spinning.

This week with the Aidil Fitri celebrations, I have opportunity to log the highest mileage - just about right timing too with just 3 weeks to tapering. It calls for 2 midweek runs of 21K and 30K followed by 15K and 25K on the weekends. In between will be some spinning and a couple of short runs. I've been eating and snacking more the last 3 days and I've found the extra calories to be extremely helpful. I've also found that I've energy on my long runs even while maintaining my policy of no gel intakes during training. My snacks have been a mixture of oats, fruit and cereal bars, and Powerbar Triple Threat. I also eat normal food, just more frequently. Mondays are treat days after the hard weekends, so it's usually McDonald's Milkshake for me.

The next 2 weeks leading up to the taper period, I will reduce the distance to be covered on Saturday but increase Sunday's long run to 35K. Overall mileage will still remain decent.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home