Sunday, September 14, 2008

1st 30K Run

With just 2 days of running this week, I headed into the 30K with trepidation. Having had 5 hours of sleep the last 2 nights didn't do my confidence level any good either. GL texted me that she needed to rest just as I was driving down. I thought I'd have only SP and her friend for company but to my surprise KK Oon was also part of the posse and he too brought a friend, a cool German dude, Rudy (if I remembered correctly) with a PR of 3:30. My thoughts immediately switched to a suffering mode. I was steeling myself for a tough tough run. There I was, way out of my league, even if this was a training run.

The plan was to try out a new route to Hartamas, so just after the Wilayah mosque, we headed straight at the traffic lights instead of veering to the left. The route took us past high-end condos and gated residences. The terrain was undulating and gave the legs a good workout. We'd been chugging at a steady pace and enjoying a conversation about Munich, beer and Oktoberfest with Rudy when we were joined by a Belgian gentleman whose PR is 2:50. Gosh, I swore I gulped hard when I heard that. I said a silent prayer that my legs and lungs will last.

The route turned out to be great and we ran past Solaris and SoHo KL (an upcoming hip area) but there was a quiet and dark spot just heading into Desa Hartamas, which are best undertaken in a group. We got over that quickly and took a loop around Petronas. The 2nd loop was also run as a variation where we took the short but steep climb left just after Plaza Damas past the school before linking with the usual Petronas loop. It's been all undulating and hilly thus far.

After refueling (I opted out of KK's Powergel offer), I decided to try for a fast 10K to finish the run off. Just to simulate late race conditions. Boy it was really tough, and I've some work to do the next few weeks. I nearly wanted to walk up the Tijani hill but somehow got over that. I astounded myself with a 5:20 split down Kenny Hills but both the elites and SP's friend were already nowhere in sight. They were so fast, possibly 5 to 8 minutes ahead of me.

When I stopped the watch back at the car park, I learnt that I'd just PR'd my 30K timing recorded early this year, even if this wasn't a race. Very satisfied, I spent some time chitchatting with John, who looked quite well (the scars were all there still, though) while I downed a bottle of Powerbar Recovery. Interesting trivia: Of the 5, Rudy will be running the Munich Marathon, KK the Florence Marathon, SP and I will be headed to NYC. Quite an international flavor huh?

My next 30K should be in 2 weeks' time. Who's coming?


SP's friend, Carboman, Belgian gentleman, SP, Rudy

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home