Monday, July 28, 2008

Base Phase Week 3 & 4: 35.42K & 50.72K

Week 3's training was a downer. Things were going well and I thought a 50K week was a clincher. Easy peasy. I caught some of my colleagues' flu and was out for a day (only) and managed a few very good midweek runs.

There was even a day of double workout, though in retrospect it might have come too early at this phase. I was quite tired because of it. Then Carbokid 2 fell ill, floored by cough, fever, flu with bouts of vomiting. The 3 adults at home were running around like headless chicken attending to him. And if you know C2, being a feisty character that he is, it's not easy getting him to cooperate. He's so different from C1 whom you can at least negotiate with. The couple of rough nights knocked me off and the targeted 19K on Saturday were busted. I managed to salvage a 13K on Saturday evening but couldn't recover on time for an early run on Sunday morning, and I ended the week on a low.

After such a seemingly discouraging week, the natural reaction would be to hammer the next week like crazy right? Then I thought about it and put everything in perspective. I've been running really well. I've not lost any of my speed - in fact I've been running faster, very near to marathon goal pace. I don't think I've problems hitting a sub-50 minute 10K. So I've taken slightly longer times to recover but that could be due to the generally faster pace I've been running. Perhaps I should take it easier so that I'm able to last through the week in better shape.

Week 4 ended quite well. Other than hitting the 50K milestone for the NYCM training, the quality of workouts have been consistent. I'm getting more comfortable with steady-state runs and remained in control on the faster sessions. My stated goal for the Base Phase is 55K weeks and if I pace myself accordingly I should be able to hit it either this week or next. I plan to be consistent throughout this training even if the volume remains just so-so. My aim is to make sure that lower volume, with higher quality will bring about peaking at the correct time.

Certainly events, unplanned they may be such as C2's continued illness and my brushes with cold/flu, are making sure that I don't overdo things. I ran 5 days last week and due to some pre-planning, I knew that I could run in the evenings. That allowed me to sleep in on weekday mornings, even if that only meant an additional 10 minutes in bed. Tuesday's 11.8K was fantastic - 6:02 pace aerobically - while Saturday's stupendously hard hill workout with running partners, at first with Geraldine and Loke, then Geraldine (up the 2.4K Kiara Hill) and finally with the RunnersMalaysia group with last 2K with Chen. The trip up Kiara Hill deserves a special mention due to the hard work it brought about. It was a new route for me and I ran without knowing where the peak was. It was a series of curves and more curves that took its toll on the lungs (I maxed out my HR), quads, calves and glutes. On a couple of stretches I was even reduced to walk breaks. Sweat were dripping off the tip of my nose! And Geraldine couldn't be seen in front!



See the elevation spikes?

Despite the 2 days, the run that took the cake was yesterday's late evening 9K which I somehow cranked out at 6:06 pace despite the sore legs. I shall be returning to this hill a few more times before the main event. I'm thinking of this workout to simulate late stage hills - a 10K "warmup" incorporating 3K easy, 7K at LT pace around the lake before heading to the hill. There, do 6 repeats up the hill before a 2K easy warmdown around the lake.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home