Sunday, July 6, 2008

Periodization Week 2: 35.46K

Today sees the completion of the 2-week Periodization Phase. Not much change to the weekly mileage and I ran without pressure. No chasing of splits, mileage or anything of that sort. Just go out there and run 4 times a week.

I noticed that the weather in the evenings have been very hot of late with temps hitting 34C even. Just like today. I'll never be able to run in temps close to NYC. So the feel of cold weather will be alien to me until Oct 30th when I arrive at The City. The sun was still blazing at 6:30pm but I had a run scheduled. After guzzling down copious amount of fluids, I put on my shades, changed into a lightweight NikeFIT vest and shorts and went into the kitchen filling up 2 bottles of iced isotonics. 10 minutes later after tying up the Vomero 2+, I was out of the door. I usually don't train with my sunglasses (Oakley Half Jacket) on - the fact that I did today pretty much tells you how glaring it was.

At the office, work has been holding steady but our Department has been rocked by 4 resignations of late. With replacement head counts difficult to get, expect more work heading my way. 

Tomorrow will see that start of the 6-week Base Phase. It's a very important period where mileage will be gradually increased to the mid 50s per week. No matter how many times you've done it, it never gets easier. As you grow older, you'll need to monitor your recovery period and so on. Focus will be on quality not quantity... for now. 

This is when real work begins.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Machine. said...

Not only hot, but humid as heck too. I ran through Forest Park this late morning, and I like I mentioned over on my post, it felt like breathing in air in a basement, that's just had a flood. It was absolutely disgusting today, and the 10 day forecast calls for more of the same. Bah Humbag.

July 7, 2008 at 11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home