Saturday, September 13, 2008

Crunch Time

Things are certainly heating up over here even as the season is heading for Fall in New York. Only 52 days to race day (49 days to my flight). I quiver with excitement at the prospect of visiting a faraway land, a melting pot of culture and ethnicity. At the same time, I'm apprehensive about the long flight. I'm livid about the training that needs to be done. When you put all of these emotions into the mix, you get high anxiety. Thankfully, Nike and Powerbar have alleviated part of my anxiety by taking care of my gear and nutrition. I've been rotating between the Vomero 2+, Structure Triax 11+ and Lunar Trainer+ for my runs and I've never had to worry about apparels either. After the successful stress test of the Lunars last weekend, I'm eager to take them for a couple of hard long runs. The first 2 weeks of October seem to be the perfect time for those workouts. My intention is to wear the Lunars for the race failing which I'll revert to the ever reliable Zoom Elite.

On the nutritional front, Powerbar has me covered. Tackling any distances longer than 20K would typically require some pre-run fueling for me or I’ll be risking some awkward stomach growling moments. And the common practice for me is to munch on an energy bar while driving down to the meeting spot at Lake Gardens. The bar of choice presently is the Powerbar Triple Threat. I find the Crisp version to be refreshingly light and tasty while still giving me the necessary carbs. It's got 10-11g of protein, 220-230 calories, 4g of fiber and 16 vitamins and minerals. For a more filling snack, it's the ProteinPlus Bar for me - yes I take the Protein Bar as a pre-run snack. Tomorrow will see my first 30K of the training and I'd certainly be needing a nice cool bottle of Powerbar Recovery drink. The drink contains 40g carbs, 6g protein and 500mg of electrolyte sodium per 16 fl. oz serving. If you're as soaked in sweat as I am after a run, you'll appreciate the orangy beverage. I keep my fluids cool in a Coleman tumbler, so that ramps up the taste factor even more. I don't take Powergels except during a race so that my body can get the extra boost at the appropriate time.


To download an informative Powerbar booklet, just hit the image below.



Since we're on the subject of nutrition, anyone would like to try out several pasta recipes as recommended by Barilla? Check them out here. Don't forget to invite me should you be making the yummy dishes.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home